Wednesday, October 19, 2016

{31 for 21} Seriously, Another -ism?

Despite being a special education teacher, it wasn't until Ellie was about a year old that I first heard the word "ableism."

My definition: Thinking people are valued based on what they're able to do.

It's a hard one.

We praise so much based on ability, but I believe that our value is so much more than how fast we run, our IQ score, the clarity of our speech or the money we make.

People have value.

People should be treated as if they have value.

Barriers down.

Embracing each person as an image bearer of God.  Even if they "can't."  Can't walk, can't talk, can't act like we've been taught to act.

Value in people.  Because they're all people.

It's worth thinking about.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking time to let me know you stopped by. Hearing from my readers brings a smile to my face. If you ask a question, please leave me a way to get in touch so I can answer! Please note that I do not approve comments deemed advertisements. If you comment as Anonymous, please leave your name, and remember, use respectful words. No name calling.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...