Tuesday, March 8, 2011

"Fridays Child is Loving and Giving"

On Wednesday night, Matt and I ate dinner, napped, and then loaded up the car to head to the hospital to begin the process of having Ellie.  I got gelled and pricked, and we attempted to sleep: Matt on a less than comfy couch, me with an IV in my arm.  (At least I got some Ambien!)  I've never been so anxious or restless.  The nurse was a friend of a friend, which helped immensely.  I made her hide my IV from me under gauze!  I hate needles, and there may have been a few tears involved.  Maybe.

Thursday morning, I had the best nurse in the universe.  She will be getting a thank you note!  A full day of Pitocin, and NO BABY.  No dilation.  Unfortunately, once, when poor Matt was trying to get out of the room to eat something, Ellie's heart rate dropped and I was put on oxygen.  She recovered quickly, although I think her poor Daddy's heart rate never will recover.  By the end of Thursday, the doctors decided to do another round of the gel.  I was given more Ambien, and we went to semi-sleep again.  Sorry to my cousin, she did NOT get to share Ellie's birthday!

Friday morning dawned.  Come on, baby!  I'd had a full day of contractions and I was ready to meet this little girl.  Best nurse in the universe was back.  My doctor broke my water.  I had contractions.  Ellie had another little incident with her heart, so I was put on full bed rest, and given an epidural.  With her next heart incident, the doctors decided that since I still wasn't dilated (despite the now two days of contractions) we'd be going in for a c-section.

Amazing things:
* The anesthesiologist RN has a brother with DS.  She asked to be with us.  She also runs marathons.  I got distracting conversation and compassion and love for Ellie all in one!
* Our families and friends were there when I got out of the surgery!

And the best of all:
* Eleanor Claire came out kicking and screaming, 6 lbs 10 oz, with tons of muscle movement and unwilling to be swaddled.  She was placed on my chest until I was sewn up.  Her Apgar scores were 8 and 9.  She is beautiful, and I'm not just saying that because she's mine!

Ellie was baptized on Friday night and then sent to Children's for surgery, where Matt joined her.  I'll share that portion of the story later, as we're getting ready to go hang out with her now!  She is continuing to be a fighter and a diva!

(Sleeping beauty)
(Free hugs)
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your beautiful girl...who FINALLY decided to make her appearance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, she is so precious! Congrats to you and your family :)

    Enjoy your little one!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking time to let me know you stopped by. Hearing from my readers brings a smile to my face. If you ask a question, please leave me a way to get in touch so I can answer! Please note that I do not approve comments deemed advertisements. If you comment as Anonymous, please leave your name, and remember, use respectful words. No name calling.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...